Please use the following as a guide for your upcoming move. Please note that you are responsible for returning the home in the condition it was received in, less normal wear and tear.
It is always a good idea to reference the move-in inspection to refresh yourself on the condition of the home when you took possession.
Make sure to cancel all automatic rent payments. If you are enrolled in Auto Pay through our accounting department, please submit the request to cancel in writing. If you have established auto pay through your tenant portal, you must log in and cancel the scheduled payments. Note, First Choice does not have access to your portal and therefore cannot make any changes on your behalf.
A. All Rooms
Remove nails, tacks, anchors, stickers, decals, and window covering hangars (installed by you) from walls. Note, the spackle marks to cover holes from nails, tacks, or screws should not be larger than the head of a nail;
- Clean all interior upstairs windows, all interior and exterior downstairs windows, window frames, window screens, and window blinds;
- Clean doors and door tracks on sliding doors;
- Replace all burned out light bulbs;
- Clean light fixture coverings, light switch and outlet plates (helpful hint- place in the dishwasher). If light switch or outlet plates are cracked, replace with new ones;
- Clean baseboards and corners, taking care to remove all cobwebs;
Clean floors and vacuum carpets;
- Have the carpets professionally steam cleaned prior to returning the keys. If a pet has been in the home, it is strongly recommended you have the carpets treated to remove all pet odors. Tenant shall not use personal or rented carpet cleaning equipment to clean carpeting. Paid receipts must be submitted with the keys and remotes;
- If a pet has been present, and there is a presence of fleas, the homeï¿½s interior and exterior may need to be professionally treated for fleas;
- Wash the interior and exterior of all shelves, drawers, and cupboards;
Clean out fireplace and chimney (if applicable);
- Replace batteries (as needed) in all smoke detectors and carbon monoxide alarms. If either has been removed, make sure to reinstall/reattach them to the walls;
- Install new disposable air filters and/or clean all reusable HVAC filters.
- Clean oven, oven walls, stove top, grills, broiler pan, and storage drawer;
- Clean vent/hood and/or microwave, making sure the filter is thoroughly degreased;
- Clean the interior and exterior of cabinets, drawers, and handles taking care to remove grease build up. Clean the refrigerator (if applicable) including crisper drawers, walls, containers, and shelves. Clean behind, on top, and underneath the appliance;
- Clean sinks, counter tops, and floors;
- Clean medicine cabinets and mirrors;
- Thoroughly clean toilets, sinks, tubs, and showers;
- Remove all dirt, stains, and cleaning solution from soap dishes, handles, racks, faucets, and walls (Helpful Hint- Mr Clean Magic Erasers work well to remove soap scum, water spots, and stains);
Exterior, Out Buildings, and Yard
- Cut, rake, and remove trash and leaves from yard;
- Flower beds must be weeded and clean;
- Trim trees, bushes, or flower beds as needed and/or per your lease agreement;
- Clean rain gutters (if applicable);
- Sweep porches and decks, including cobwebs in high corners;
- Sweep garage, carports, and out buildings leaving only those items that were present at move-in;
- Remove all trash, garbage, debris, and personal property.
Return Keys, Access Cards, Passes and Remotes
- In order to return possession of the property, all keys, access cards, passes, and remotes must be delivered to First Choice Property Management at out office located at 4804 Arlington Avenue, Suite A, Riverside, CA 92504 on business days between 9:00 AM and 5:00 PM Monday through Friday only. It is highly recommended you make an appointment prior to arriving. Do not leave keys, access cards, passes, or remotes in the rental home. Should you fail to return any of the above; the cost to replace them will be deducted from the security deposit.
First Choice Property Management utilizes the move-in inspection, defects not reported list, and all repairs/improvements made to the home during tenancy when determining liability. The above guidelines will not be construed as a limitation upon the Landlord/Agentï¿½s right to pursue claims for damages not specifically listed herein. The guide has been designed to help you understand the expectations during your move in an effort to help you get the maximum refund of your security deposit.
As always, if you have any questions, please feel free to contact our office. We are here to help!
STATEMENT OF SECURITY DEPOSIT POLICIES
I/We understand that the return of my security deposit is subject to the following conditions:
- Please be aware that you have the right to request a pre-move out inspection (submitted in writing no less than 2 weeks before your move-out) to assess the condition of the property before the actual move out date. Inspections take place during normal business hours, Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 5:00 pm. At this inspection the tenant will be notified which items might be deducted from their security deposit. This will give the tenant an opportunity to correct said items. A link to an instructional video is: http://video.firstchoicepropmgt.com/StreamVideo.aspx?VideoID=7ed275ef-440a-4980-b0bb-5390dfa2810b
- Make sure that all repairs are done before you vacate and there is no damage beyond normal wear and tear. Entry to the home is not permitted after possession is transferred.
- You must provide us with proof that the trash service is paid in full when you turn in the keys to our office. If you fail to remit proof of a zero balance for trash service, an estimated balance will be held from the security deposit as security of payment. If proof of payment is later received, the withheld amount will be refunded.
- You are responsible for having the carpets professionally steam cleaned; receipt must be submitted when keys are remitted. Submitting a receipt does not warrant a refund. Should you fail to do so the cost for shampooing will be deducted from your security deposit. If you have indoor pets, it is highly suggested that a pet treatment is performed. Should there be pet odor or fur remaining in the flooring, an additional treatment may be ordered. Additionally, if the company hired fails to perform a thorough cleaning, a second vendor may be sent to perform the cleaning and the cost deducted from your deposit.
- Make sure that you have read and understood the move out guidelines.
- Make sure there is no unpaid, late, outstanding rent, or other charges owed on your account. You may not use your security deposit for your last month's rent. Please call our office to verify any outstanding balances and prorations on rent.
- Utilities shall be transferred to avoid lapses in coverage based on the move-out date provided on your notice to vacate. If you remain in the home after your listed vacate date, you will be responsible for the cost of utilities based on a prorated basis.
- All keys and remotes must be turned in to our office when you have completely vacated. Note: Lessee shall be charged rent for each day they are in possession of the keys and/or remotes. First Choice does not regain possession until we have physically received the keys and remotes. If you place the keys and remotes in the afterhours box or choose to mail them, possession will not be transferred until we have collected the keys. Our office hours are Monday-Friday 9:00 am to 4:00 pm. Security Deposits are mailed through the United States Parcel Service via first class mail. If you would like the deposit to be mailed via certified mail (requiring a signature) there will be a $10.00 charge and you must notify our office in writing no later than your move-out date.
Please also note that a professional 'For Rent' sign and a lock box will be installed on the premises. As per California Civil Code 1954 Section (2) we will not perform any showings without contacting you first.
I understand that my security deposit settlement will be mailed to me within 21 days of the day that I turn in the keys at the First Choice Property Management office. I understand that if there is no forwarding address, this statement will be mailed to my last known address and will be addressed to all residents who signed the rental agreement unless I furnish other instructions, in writing, signed by all residents. I also understand that I am liable for damages in excess of my security deposit.